My 30th’s birthday is 6 months away – and I’ve done… 7 things. On the bright side, between September 8 and October 8 has been my most productive month – I hit 4 of them!
4 Goals I finished in the last month:
- Finished my Masters Degree – I turned in my last assignment midway through September and Friday October 10th I finalized my paperwork for graduation. Although I won’t officially be graduated till December, or get my diploma until March, or be able to walk until May… (seriously. All that is kind of depressing)…. I am done with the work part!
- Attended a Professional Conference – NEHRA conference in Worcester on October 8, and I heard some great speakers, learned some great tools in my field, and yes, came home with a fistful of business cards.
- Went on a Weekend Road Trip – A friend recently asked me “Can you ever have as much fun with your friends if you all bring along your kids too?” A weekend long trip to VT with my ConnectShore buddies answered the question with a resounding yes. At one point we foolishly all tried to sit down to an adult type dinner with candles. I lit the candles – with great expectations – and they were quickly extinguished. But hikes in the woods, apple picking, eating and so.much.laughter. really made the weekend amazing. Different fun… but still very fun. (See the above photos!)
- Went to a Wine Tasting – I tried a weekly wine tasting with a friend in Salem. It was less pretentious than I thought, but as Marta pointed out, they do it every week. I’m not necessarily sure I expanded my knowledge of wine – but I was happy.
3 Goals I’m having the most trouble with right now:
- Learning 4 new functions on my camera – I found a meetup group to join… but then the focus started going wonky on my Nikon D3100. I’ve been seriously procrastinating on getting it looked at because it seems like a hassle.
- Running the 66% of the North Shore Trail Series – I thought it would be good to put a percentage on this goal- since SMART goals are well, smart. But then… life happened and I can’t make the percentage goal. So, I will only run 3 of the races this year. My younger self – my black and white self- would declare this a failure. My wiser, older, more moderate self sees that challenging myself to try and run trail races, something I haven’t done in 10 years, helped to reinvigorate my love of running.
- Deciding what to do with this blog – I love blogging. I’ve blogged for a long time, even here at this site! But… I see the world of blogging is so different now than it was 5, 10 years ago…. I just can’t decide if I want to keep it personal, launch a more professional site, or … just keep on keeping on in the way that I do.
2 Goals in progress right now that I’m really excited about:
- Becoming a mentor – I volunteered to be a mentor for a freshman undergrad student at Salem State, and although the first student I was paired with dropped out of the program, I’m still optimistic about being part of a way to give back to an educational institution where I had a positive experience and share some of my hard won career and life skills.
- Getting a job – After going to the conference and new connections, I’m more excited than ever to continue reaching out to others, researching positions, and (hopefully soon) getting some interviews.
1 Thing I’m keeping in mind
Sure I’ve only done 7 things… but like my friend Emily said over at Relishments a week or so ago about her 101 in 1001 days list”many of these items were too specific for who I was when I wrote it and as things changed in my life, the list didn’t.”
Plans and priorities shift, roles change, and sometimes a list just shows a past self you aren’t sure you still want to be.
Some of these things won’t get done… but I’m still excited to see how many I can do.
Here’s to the next 6 months!