It’s Earth Day! Research says that making a personal commitment, and then making it visible will help change your behavior. Consider taking the following measurable and specific challenge for the next year.
I promise to bring 1 (or more) Reusable Bags with me whenever I go shopping.
Tips and Tricks to make your promise Easier.
(Research also shows that if you want a commitment to stick – it’s not so much about stopping an action, it’s about replacing it with another action.)
- Keep reusable bags in your car (at all times!)
- If you live with more than one person – put someone in charge of “reminder” duty. This is a great job for a little one.
- Buy the type of reusable bag you can add to your key chain, or stuff in your purse/backpack.
- Add a sign to your dashboard (or back of your front door) that says “Did you remember your reusable bag today?”
- Add “Activist Abby” on facebook. Information delivered straight to your newsfeed about just how ridiculously bad (and frivolous)plastic bag consumption can be.
- Don’t approach it as an all-of-nothing task. If you forget once or twice – just reuse the plastic bags you get.
What else are you doing to celebrate Earth Day?
I’ll celebrating by cleaning up trash at my local park during this week.
You might like these other posts I’ve written about sustainability and green living.